Monday, May 2, 2011

Oh the joys of Spring!

This weekend has been a truly wonderful one. Score one for the Farmers Almanac for predicting the snow we got here in Idaho last week!!! However, it is full steam ahead as of this past Saturday! winds are still a bit chilly but its perfect weather for putting some seeds in the ground! Saturday and Sunday my wonderful husband and amazing children all pitched in to get a massive list of things finished! Here are a few:

-Find a wonderful new home for our family dog. (She was too big and too energetic for my little ones!)
-Fix 3 flat bike tires (Daves project)
-move all of my plant starts outside
-dig out strawberry and raspberry beds
-dig holes for grapevines
-plant 50 strawberry starts
-plant 20 raspberry canes
-plant 6 grapevines
-put raised beds in final location (Poor Dave has moved them at least 3 times)
-dig out grass in vegetable beds (another SUPER fun project for Dave)
-Lay out, dig and back fill herb beds
-replace doorknob and deadbolt for back door that spontaneously stopped working
-take our children plus one friend to the circus
-have a wonderful hot dog roast in our fire pit followed, of course, by s'mores
-rake front yard after it was de-thatched and aerated (you would not believe the amount of dead stuff!)
-plant seeds for our summertime sunflower house
-go to homedepot to get sprinklers, hoses and a file for Daves pulaski (our most used tool by far! Poor Dave)

That is all I can remember and not including all of our regular chores! I was such a busy crazy weekend! We had homemade waffles, a hot dog roast, played outside, watched movies, ran errands... It was fabulous! Exhausting! but fabulous :) The weather report says all week will be this nice and I cannot wait to get back outside and continue my spring time preparation! The kids have all been very helpful in getting things done. I have been very proud of them.

This coming weekend we will be hosting a Mothers Day BBQ as well as a family planting/gardening day! My sister and her husband and 6 children will be coming over to help us finish up what we haven't been able to finish over this next week. They will also, hopefully, be taking 6 chickens off our hands to use for their own family. It has been tedious and sometimes I have wondered what we were thinking to get chickens but I am glad now that we are able to give some to family as well as have several here that the kids love to play with and have become a common sight in our backyard.

I look forward to this summer when our garden is in full bloom, our flowers and vegetables have sprouted, our trees are full of leaves and wonderful shade and our lawn is green and soft for the many little feet that will be running across it! Oh how I love Spring and the tiny glimpse we get of new beginnings and fresh starts.

Now I must go put some aloevera from my plant on the windowsill on my recently sunburned shoulders. And while I do I will be hoping for that same sunburn to stay on my shoulders for the next several months as we spend more and more time outside in our beautiful yard, bursting with life.

1 comment:

  1. It was an amazing weekend. Hoping all these projects get wrapped up so we can enjoy the fruits (literally I hope) of all our labors.

    ReplyDelete